Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Sheffield Botanical Gardens cover 19 acres and were first opened in 1836. Originally designed by Robert Marnock in the Gardenesque style, the site now has fifteen different garden areas featuring collections of plants from all over the world, including Mediterranean, Asian, American prairie-style, woodland and rock-and-water plantings.

The National Collections of Weigela, Diervilla and Sarcococca are sited here. The Gardens contain several listed buildings including the restored Grade II* listed curvilinear Glass Pavilions, some of the earliest ever built, which were officially re-opened by HRH The Prince of Wales on 1 September 2003.

A beautiful getaway in the centre of Sheffield's cityscape, the Gardens provide a place of pleasure and education for all the family and provide a magnificent setting for the many events held there throughout the year.





Historic Site

Extensive gardens with over 5,500 species of plants. Gardens are Grade II Listed by English Heritage as a garden of special architectural and historical interest.

Contact Information

Email: Sue.willis-worthington@sheffield.gov.uk

Phone: 0114 267 1115

Website: http://www.sbg.org.uk

Address

Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Clarkehouse Road

Sheffield

South Yorkshire

S10 2LN

Find on Map

Photos

Directions

By Road:
From M1 exit at junction 33. Follow Royal Hallamshire Hospital signs. Bear left at the hospital along Clarkehouse Road and the gardens are on the left.
Please note road side parking is extremely limited.

By Public Transport:
From the City Centre take Bus no.81 along Ecclesall Road. Alight at Dover Road and walk up to the Gardens.

Useful Information:

  • Dogs accepted
  • Disabled access
  • Disabled toilets
  • Facilities for hearing impaired
  • Facilities for visually impaired