Largest independent food hall in the North of England opens in Sheffield
09 November 2018
The largest independent food hall in the North of England has officially opened, bringing yet another unique dining experience to Sheffield.
Inspired by the hawkers markets of South East Asia, The Cutlery Works is the newest addition to ever-expanding foodie destination, Kelham Island and is the latest venture from Sheffield’s Milestone Group, who are behind some of the city’s best known restaurants such as The Milestone, Craft & Dough and INC Rooftop bar.
Split over two floors, the 14,000sqft space of the Rutland cutlery works building on Neepsend Lane has been transformed to house a hive of Sheffield’s finest independent businesses, mixing permanent outlets with changeable pop-ups.
The Milestone Group have worked hard to hand pick a fantastic range of independent traders, all from Sheffield yet all offering their own exciting concept drawing on culinary influences from all over the culinary world. Matt Bigland, Director of The Milestone Group said: “I’m really passionate about this project. It’s going to be a food destination that gives independent entrepreneurs an opportunity to showcase their food offerings. I can’t wait to see what this brings to Sheffield and the Yorkshire region.”
With everything from freshly rolled sushi and artisan pies, to indulgent vegan doughnuts, there is literally something for everyone’s tastes, but with so much to try, the keenest foodies will need to visit again and again to sample everything on offer.
From 2019, each trader involved will also be hosting their own monthly events to share their passion, knowledge, experience and skills. The Traders include:
• The Gravy Train, bringing their poutine to the party (Canadian posh chips and cheese, with cheese curds and lots of yummy accompaniments).
• Five Rivers who will be taking care of pho and bahn mi alongside their famous Vietnamese drip coffee.
• Edo Sushi will be providing counter dining around their open kitchen, watch your sushi and sashimi get sliced and rolled and look out for their cookery demos.
• MA-ba, fantastic South Indian cooking classes with family recipes that have been handed down through generations.
• Shed, 100% plant-based restaurant featuring imaginative and mouth-watering dishes from loaded toasts to combo bowls and cold-pressed juices.
• Bullion’s Chocolate Cafe, manufacturing bean to bar chocolate on site, from the raw cacao bean to the finished bar. Bullion is only 1 of 15 craft chocolate bar makers in the UK.
• Elly Joy with her renowned froconut desserts, who will also be introducing some savoury options.
• For the meat (and fish) lovers, the Cutlery Works will welcome new start-up Fin and Bone.
• Booze Hound – Independently produced craft beer bar.
• Table – focusing on meat, cheese and natural wines.
• Foundry – coffee roasters providing filter and espresso based coffee, alongside a range of artisan blended teas, drinking chocolate, delicious cakes, pastries and brownies.
• Last but not least, Pie Eyed serving homemade proper pies.
Food lovers can place their food order with a range of outlets before taking a seat and waiting for their meal to be served by a waiter/waitress in the communal dining area. If you download The Milestone Group App you can order food right from your phone and have it delivered to your table. You’ll also be able to preload your app with credit and use it at any of the food vendors and bars. Download the App here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-milestone group/id1440067397?mt=8.
The Cutlery Works will be open Wednesday to Sunday every week, open from 8am, with breakfast and freshly roasted coffee being served up by the traders from 10am. Expect a relaxed atmosphere throughout the day, the perfect place to catch up with friends or meet colleagues over lunch.
The Cutlery Works will also be providing a hot-desking space with access to WIFI and discounted coffee. Guests can stay all day, meet clients and take advantage of the amazing food offering. There'll also be a children’s play area to keep little ones feeling welcomed and entertained. What’s more you can also bring your pooch along too, as the venue is dog-friendly.
Come night time, there’ll be a fun, lively vibe, with late night dining until 12am during the week and 1am Friday and Saturday.
The Cutlery Works, 73 - 101 Neepsend Lane, Sheffield S3 8AT
For more information visit: https://cutleryworks.co.uk/
Follow The Cutlery Works on social to stay up to date:
Facebook – @cutleryworkssheffield
Instagram - @cutleryworks