Cutlers' Hall

Cutlers' Hall is a Grade II* listed building in Sheffield, England, that is the headquarters of the Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire. It is located on Church Street, opposite Sheffield Cathedral, in Sheffield City


Opening Times

Mon - Fri: 08:00 - 17:00
Sat - Sun: Closed

Accessibility Information

This first Hall was demolished in May 1725 and the site cleared for the building of the second Hall - this time at a cost of £430.10s. In 1720s, the Company decided that rather than improve its present Hall, it would look for a better piece of land on which to build a new Cutlers' Hall. Negotiations were undertaken with the Duke of Norfolk's agent, Mr. Henry Howard, who offered the Company a large parcel of land close to where the present Town Hall stands. However the ground rent for this land was set at £22, but the Company would only agree to £21.13s 3d. Therefore, for the sake of 6s 9d, the scheme foundered and the Cutlers' Hall remained on its present site. By 1827, the state of this second Hall was causing a great deal of public concern. A letter appeared in the Sheffield Independent saying: "Its (the Cutlers' Hall) exterior appearance is unworthy of the Company to whom it belongs, and its interior accommodation are not only bad, but disgraceful to a body of so much importance." In 1832, the present Cutlers’ Hall, the third on this site, was built following the demolition of the second Hall. It was designed by two architects, Samuel Worth and Benjamin Broomhead Taylor, who had both submitted plans, but when the Company was unable to choose between these plans, the two architects agreed to work together. In 1867, the Hall was extended to the rear, with the addition of the Large Banqueting Hall on the first floor with the Hadfield Hall beneath and in 1888, the frontage was extended westward. It is a Grade 2* Listed building and is considered to be one of the finest Livery halls in the country. When the Foundation stone was laid in 1832, the Master Cutler stated that: "...this Hall is intended not only for the Cutlers’ Company, but for the general purpose of the Town." The building cost the Company £8,846.12s.1d, with a further £1,092.3s.2d spent on furnishings. Tours of the Cutlers' Hall Tours, which must be booked in advance, last about an hour and a quarter and are conducted by the Beadle, the deputy Beadle or the Archivist.

X